One of the indications of infertility is irregular menstrual cycles which makes ovulation difficult to predict. In this case, ovulation induction may be recommended with the use of medication. This allows the egg to mature and ovulate giving couples better chances in conceiving through timed intercourse or artificial insemination.
The most commonly used ovulation induction medications are orally-taken pills such as clomiphene citrate and letrozole, or injections of Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH).
Indications for ovulation induction
Ovulation induction can be considered if you:
- Don’t have a regular menstrual cycle.
- Have healthy fallopian tubes.
- Your spouse has normal sperm parameters.
The possible side effects for ovulation induction includes:
- Minor side effects such as hot flushes.
- Multiple pregnancies due to multiple follicles developing and maturing in a cycle, causing more than one egg to be released during ovulation.
Contact us to find out if ovulation induction can help you conceive.